2 cups Milk Powder
1/2 cup + 1tbsp all purpose flour (Maida)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp ghee or melted butter
Oil for frying
Sugar syrup ingredients:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 tsp cardamon powder
few drops of rose essence or rose water (i used rose water)
few saffron strands (optional)
- Mix milk powder, flour, baking soda and ghee in a vessel. Mix them with your hands until they form crumbs.
- Add milk little at a time and make soft dough out of it. Cover and keep the dough aside atleast for half an hour.
- In a seperate heavy bottom pan mix sugar, water, cardoman powder and rose water, bring it to boil. Boil this mixture for atleast 10 to 15 mins.
- Make small round balls of the dough, grease your hands with little oil if the dough is sticking to hands.
- Heat oil for frying, fry the jamuns on very slow heat, each gulab jamun will take atleast 5 mins to get cooked. Remove them on paper towel once they turn brown.
- Transfer the gulab jamuns into sugar syrup. It will take sometime for the sugar syrup to be absorbed in gulab jamuns, I would suggest to keep the gulab jamuns in syrup for atleast 4 to 5 hours so that the flavors of cardoman and rose water are nicely absorbed.
- You can warm the gulab jamuns before serving.
- Enjoy these delicious gulab jamuns either hot or cold with vanilla ice cream :)