One of the most things i miss staying away from home is food made by my mom, she cooks the most amazing dishes in the world, recently when i had been home she cooked all my favorite dishes, love you mom and miss you, so here is one of my favorite dish Methi Malai Mutter with a twist of paneer. The recipe is very simple and uses least number of spices but still is very rich in taste. Its Perfect for special occasions or dinner parties. The gravy is unique blend of cashewnuts and onions. This recipe yields serving for 4 people. Ingredients:
1 cup washed and finely cut Methi (Fenugreek leaves) 1 cup green peas (I used frozen) 1 cup paneer (Cottage cheese) cubed in small pieces 2 tbsp fresh cream or Malai 1 tsp salt or according to your taste 1-2 tsp sugar
1 pinch baking soda (Optional)
Ingredients for gravy:
100 gms cashewnuts
2 large onions cut into 4 pieces each
2-3 green chillies
1 tsp ginger paste
Ingredients for tempering:
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 pinch asafoetida
2 Bay Leaf Procedure:
- Blend onions, cashewnuts, green chillies and ginger paste along with little water in mixer grinder into fine paste.
- Deep Fry paneer pieces and soak them into cold water for few minutes, this will remove the excess oil from paneer and make them soft.
- Heat oil in seperate pan, add cumin seeds and asafoetida and bay leaf, add the cashewnuts and onion gravy and cook it for few minutes.
- Add methi (fenugreek leaves), mutter (green peas), salt, sugar(sugar is basically added to remove the bitterness of Methi) and little baking soda and cook for about 15 to 20 mins on slow heat, until peas and methi are cooked. You can add salt and sugar more according to your taste.
- Add fresh cream and let it cook for few mins.
- In the end add paneer and again cook for a min.
- Garnish with fresh cream and enjoy this rich dish with Nan or Paratha.