It was dinner time and there were no veggies in my pantry. I had few potatoes, onions and bell peppers. Oh damn!! i thought, should have done my grocery shopping on the weekend...so i did some random mixing and BAM!!! I got this wonderful rich and creamy dish, which I absolutely loved. I have used bell peppers and onions for this dish, i left out potatoes as i dont prefer potatoes in a curry dish. The gravy i made using cashewnuts , onions along with roasted chana dal. Next time i may add in some baby corns and paneer to give it a more rich taste. The recipe below serves 4 people. This dish is off to Lets Go Nuts Cashewnuts hosted by Poornima of Tasty Treats and to Aquadaze of ServedWithLove
1 Bell Pepper chopped into cubes
2 medium onions chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp corainder powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp sugar
pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
Salt to taste
Cilantro for garnishing
2 onions cut into 4 pieces each
50 gms cashewnuts
2 tbsp roasted chana dal
2-3 green chillies chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
- For gravy, grind together all the ingredients with little water into a smooth paste, keep aside.
- In a non stick pan heat oil, add in cumin seeds and asafoetida, when cumin seeds starts to splutter add in the gravy mixture.
- Now add chopped onions, bell peppers, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, corainder powder, garam masala , salt and sugar. Add enough water as chana dal absorbs lot of water and we want to make sure the gravy does not get burnt.
- Cover and cook for 15 to 20 mins on medium heat or until the onions and bell peppers are cooked. Keep stirring in middle just to be sure that the gravy doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan. Add more water if required.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with paratha or rice.