I have always been very fond of tutti frutti right from school days. Tutti frutti studed muffins and fruit cakes are quite common at my home and is enjoyed by everyone. Tutti fruitti's are also used in number of other desserts like Falooda , Ice creams etc. When used in bakes it looks very attractive and colorful and is specially enjoyed by kids very much. I love to have them just like that as well :-)
Tutti Frutti is nothing but papaya tit bits colored and cooked in sugar water. Sometimes these are also made from pineapple, candied cherries and apricots. You can even make these at home for more information visit Viki's post here. While making these at home, make sure you use good quality organic colors.
Pineapple Tutti Frutti Cake
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup tutti frutti mixed with 1 tbsp of flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs at room temperature
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp pineapple extract
2 tbsp pineapple juice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda together and keep aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffly, about 2 to 3 mins.
- Add one egg at a time and beat well.
- Add in the pineapple extract and pine juice if using, beat well.
- Now add in flour and milk alternatively and beat well after each addition.
- Finally fold in the tutti frutti's rolled in flour, mix gently, donot beat.
- Pour the batter in the pan and bake for 40 to 45 mins until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool is completely.
- Slice and serve with coffee or tea.
Verdict? I have already made this cakes twice in one week so you can imagine how good it is! You can replace pineapple extract with vanilla or any other flavor of your choice. Infact I am planning to replace tutti frutti with some chocolate chips and walnuts...mmmmm yummm.....isnt it? The only mistake I made was to slice the cake before cooling it completely and hence i got some crumbs, in my defense it was very tough to resist as the cake looked so beautiful :D
On 23rd April 2010 D and I completed two years of togetherness filled with love and friendship! This is the day we met for the first time! Dedicating this cake to you dear!
Have you seen my first guest post as yet? No? I would urge to go and visit Deepa's blog right away, check out my first guest post - Eggless Mini Chocolate Muffins. I know its little late but never late too have some chocolate muffins right?
Sending this cake to BakeOff event.
Until next time take care and keep baking!